Monday, July 30, 2007

Letting the Light In - Thank You Leonard


... so there I was, working on a new painting and mumbling to myself that this particular work wasn't turning out quite as expected - it's different than my usual works and I was wondering if I was on the right track, or if I'd be better to stick with my tried and true style of past works. I looked down at my palette and gosh darn ding dang, there was Leonard Cohen staring back at me from the cadmium yellow/red mixture. I stared at the image, wondering when Leonard had grown that big mole on his nose, when the thought was interrupted by one of Leonard's wonderful quotes, "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

Thanks to Leonard I've decided to throw my usual self-imposed style constraints to the wind and follow my paintbrush to where it will lead me - I've never enjoying basking in "the light" more.

No comments: